Thursday, May 21, 2015

ARC Review of "Tiny Pretty Things"

Tiny Pretty Things 
By Sona Charaiporta and Dhonielle Clayton 

Stars:3 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 26th 2015 

June, Bette and Gigi. Three completely different girls all vying for the shot to be a prima ballerina. 

June is barley holding on, with her mother threatening to pull her out of the elite ballet school and the school nurse threatening to send her away if she doesn't gain weight she feels like her dreams of dancing are slowly slipping away. 

Bette is desperate to get out of her older sister shadow and prove she has what it takes to stand in the spotlight even if that means pushing someone else out of it. 

Gigi is the new girl with an old secret. A beautiful dancer who finds herself with a target on her back after getting the coveted lead role. Now worrying about her secret isn't her only problem, now she has to watch her back too. 

A drama filled book with twists and turns fit for a premiere danseuse. 

-----------------------------------------------

Sona Charaipotra & Dhonielle Clayton met while attending the New School's Writing for Children MFA program. Sona is a journalist who has written for the New York TimesPeopleParadeCosmopolitan, and other major media. Dhonielle is a librarian at a middle school in Harlem and taught English at a cutthroat ballet academy. Together, the pair have also co-founded CAKE Literary, a boutique book packaging company with a decidedly diverse bent. Find them online at www.cakeliterary.com


--------------------------------------

I was really excited to read this book, mostly because it was promoted as being a cross between Black Swan and Pretty Little Liars. While I haven't yet watched Black Swan I've heard a great deal about it and was eager to jump into this book. 

For me it started off great, lots of intrigue, backstabbing and lies. As I got farther into the book it seemed to lose my interest and I found myself getting bored, but when it picked up it really picked up.

I'm not a huge fan of ballet books, they just aren't something I seek out but this was the most honest ballet book I've read. Most try to paint this perfect picture of what it's like to be a dancer and they gloss over- or don't mention at all- the struggles that go along with that. 

Eating disorders and drug abuse and body issues. 

This book did an incredible job of diving into those subjects without it overpowering the characters or their stories.

While I wasn't a fan of 2 out of the 3 characters I did enjoy reading from all 3 point of views and getting a glimpse as to what drove each of them to continue dancing. 

If you're looking for a cute, light read about some ballet dancers this is not that book. These characters are spiteful, vicious and down right nasty to one another. While it wasn't something I would normally read I did enjoy parts of it and will probably be keeping an eye out for the sequel. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment