Monday, May 25, 2015

ARC Review of "Making Pretty"

Making Pretty 
By Corey Ann Haydu 

Stars: 2 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 12th 2015 

Montana is used to her fathers girlfriends popping up in her and her sisters lives, moving in, bringing their collection of shoes with them, adding their own touches to the New York apartment. 
Shes use to them becoming fiances and eventually wives and ex wives. What she's not used to is the girlfriend in question turning out to be her best friend, Karissa, whose been hiding the relationship from her for months. 

While things at home quickly spiral out of control Montana seeks solace with her new boyfriend, one of her Dad's ex-wives and even Karissa, driving a wedge between her and Arizona. 

It doesn't take long for secrets to come out and lines to be drawn but whose side do you take when neither one is right? 


----------------------------------

Oh boy... 

Where do I start? 

I'm really surprised I finished this book, at the beginning I really enjoyed it, but how quickly the tables turned. 

Montana is one of my least favorite characters, she's so intent on writing in her journal about things she's grateful for and things that make her happy every day and yet she never physically shows her appreciation or gratitude. All she does is write it down and then in the next sentence she's complaining about how she hates her life. 

Karissa was beyond words. She was insane, downright mental and yet Montana babied her and made her feel like she wanted her there instead of telling her how she really felt about the relationship between her and her father. 

Arizona wasn't much better. She still blamed the ex wife (Natalie I think) who (along with their father) gifted them each certificates for plastic surgery on their 13th birthday and yet she freaking used it! She was so mad at Montana for still having a relationship with the only real mother figure she'd ever known all because of a horrible 'gift' that she used! Where is the logic in that?! 

Then there is her father... I refer to him as Frankenstein. He 'can't help' but to point out every single flaw in every single person he sees. He goes as far as coloring on family pictures of the girls with a sharpie to point out flaws and make notes on what he would change. His 'selective memory' was such a load of BS I couldn't even handle it and the way he was always guilting the girls into going along with things they weren't comfortable doing was manipulative and honestly quite creepy. 

I could go on, talk about Karissa's own manipulative tendencies, the fact that there was absolutely no character growth in the end or how much I hated Montana's 'relationship' with Bernardo but I think I'll stop here... 

Sadly I just want to make a note that while I (obviously) hated the story and the characters the writing was actually really good and it's the reason I finished the story at all. I'll still consider reading other books from Haydu but I definitely won't be recommending this one.

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment