Saturday, May 30, 2015

ARC Review of "Made You Up"

Made You Up 
By Francesca Zappia 

Stars: 5 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 19th 2015 

For as long as Alex can remember she's had trouble differentiating reality from delusion. Diagnosed with schizophrenia early on in her life helps her understand that sometimes what she sees isn't real but telling the difference is becoming a problem. 

Never leaving the house without her camera Alex captures every peculiar, eyebrow raising moment throughout her day, then she returns home to see what was real and what was purely her imagination.  

When an old delusion suddenly appears at her new highschool she is understandably skeptical. But the blue eyed boy seems to interact with everyone and luckily she doesn't seem to be the only one who can see him. 

Alex goes from zero to sixty in under a minute and finds herself making friends, attending parties and even falling in love, all things she never thought possible with her diagnosis. 

But when the line between reality and fiction is blurred it's all too easy to find yourself teetering between them. 


------------------------------------------

If you only read one book this month make it this book! 

I remember reading the synopsis for this book months and months ago when I requested an ARC and when I got approved I couldn't wait to start it. I built it up in my head and when the time came to read it I was so terrified that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. 

Not only did it live up to my (incredibly high) expectations, it surpassed them ten times over! 

I haven't read too many books told from the perspective of an unreliable narrator, in fact I can probably count on one hand the number of books that fall into that catagory but "Made You Up" takes the cake. 

No matter how closely you're paying attention and no matter how many times Alex (and her mother) remind you that most of what she sees isn't there Francesca still manages to throw a curve ball right at the readers heart. 

"Made You Up" is without a doubt one of those books that you finish and half an hour later realize you've been starring at a wall processing everything you've read, completely unaware of the passing time. 

I loved Alex's wit and dry humor, when things got tough she still managed to brush it off sarcastically and move on.

Miles was, of course, one of my favorite characters and I would literally (read: theoretically) kill for some chapters told from his smart ass point of view. 

It was such an addictive read, I couldn't put it down no matter how hard I tried (Spoiler alert, I didn't try that hard). 

I can't recceomnd this book enough and I eagerly await anything that Francesca comes out with next, a tweet, a grocery list, an email, anything! 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment