Thursday, May 7, 2015

ARC Review of "Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance"

Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance By Danielle Young-Ullman 

Stars:2
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: May 5th 2015 

Lola Carlyle's life is less than perfect, her mother is more concerned with her career than her daughter, her father hasn't talked to her in months and her only friend to speak of is currently in rehab. 

So when Sydney calls Lola with new juicy gossip about Lola's old crush, Wade, suddenly being checked into the very same rehab facility that Sydney's currently staying at and drops not so subtle hints that Lola should join them Lola barley hesitates. 

It doesn't take long for her to get her mother to check her into rehab and Lola is excited to be spending the summer tanning, getting massages and mani/pedi's and lounging by the pool. After all, Sydney said it was more of a spa than actual rehab. And of course being able to catch up with Wade is the cherry on top. 

So when Lola gets to Sunrise Rehab and realizes that not only is it actually rehab but that boys and girls aren't allowed to fraternize she's about ready to kill Sydney. To bad Sydney checked herself out earlier that morning. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really looking forward to this book, I was sick when I started reading it and I wanted a light, quick beach read. Although that's what I got I still felt let down at the end. 

Lola annoyed me. To no end. I don't know what it was but every little thing about her got on my nerves. That would be okay if any of the other characters were somewhat likable but they were all awful. 

I realize that without her lying to get into rehab there would be no book but really? She may not have an addiction to alcohol but she's definitely addicted to lying. I don't know how anyone in that place could trust her when every other thing out of her mouth was a lie.  

It was a little too repetitive for me, Lola would lie, cause a mess, try to fix it but only make it worse and then finally the situation would be somewhat resolved and so it would continue, chapter after chapter.  

Sadly the story got old fairly quickly, it was like a Lifetime movie that you stumble upon while flipping channels and 2 hours later your wondering why in the world you kept watching. 

I feel like it had potential but it just wasn't for me. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 


In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment