Sunday, May 17, 2015

ARC Review of "The Cost Of All Things"

The Cost Of All Things 
By Maggie Lehrman 

Stars: 4 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: May 12th 2015 

Ari's boyfriend is dead, in the blink of an eye her whole world is turned upside down and the pain is too much. She can't handle the memories, the constant pity stares or the ache in her chest.

 So she buys a spell from the local hekamist and erases him from her mind. 

But spells come with a price, one not agreed upon before hand and although Ari can't remember the pain she felt before she's sure it can't be worse than what she's feeling now. 

Told from 4 different points of view and jumping between past and present "The Cost Of All Things" begs the question, how far would you go and what would you be willing to give up for the semblance of happiness?


-------------------------------------

I really liked the concept of this book. How magic (while illegal) is something that is talked about openly and not hidden from the world. 

I loved how all the different people in the book had gotten different spells, beauty spells, memory spells, love/friendship spells. But my favorite aspect of it was the consequences, how each spell has a counter effect or repercussion of some kind. 

That being said I didn't really like any of the characters. I finished not to find out what happened to each character but mostly to see how each spell effected each character. I hope that makes sense... 

While I enjoyed the situations, settings and overall plot I wasn't a fan of the character growth and I didn't really care about what happened to any of them. 

I'd be thrilled to see the author come out with another book set in the world of hekamist's and spells because I truly enjoyed reading about it but perhaps with different characters. 

Until next time, 
Ginger  

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment