Saturday, April 4, 2015

ARC Review of "Liars, Inc."

Liars, Inc. 
By Paula Stokes 

Stars: 4 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: March 24th 2015 

Liars, Inc. started off as an innocent way for Max and his friends to make money. They didn't see any harm in forging permission slips or coming up with fake alibi's for overprotective parents. 

So when Max's best friend, Preston, asks him to cover for him over the weekend Max doesn't hesitate. 

However when Monday morning rolls around and the cops are wondering where Preston ran off to Max begins to regret his decision.

Suddenly Preston is a missing person and Max is the main suspect in his disappearance. When all the evidence and clues start to point towards Max he starts doubting who to trust. After all, aren't we all liars? 

-------------------------------

When I picked up this book I was not in the mood for a mystery, let alone the thrilling ride that "Liars, Inc." takes you on, but it took less than one chapter for me to change my mind and dive into the craziness that is this book. 

I put aside all the other books I was reading and blew through this faster than you can say "liar, liar pants on fire". 

I loved Max's voice and his character as a whole, he felt genuine and authentic and I could relate to him easily. 

Parvati was a kick ass character who knew how to cover tracks and lay low and I LOVED that she wasn't the cliche, anti street smart, dumb blonde. Parvati hears a noise in the basement? She's out of there! None of that slowly walking down the dark stairs whispering 'Whose there?'. 

Preston was insanely dynamic and lovable and I wish that we had just a little more time with him before his... Unfortunate demise... 

The plot was so airtight and the story was so fast paced that it left me breathless and unaware of the passing hours. 

It reminds me of a line in a song, "I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar." 

I'm not going to lie (ignore that awful attempt at a pun) I was skeptical of a book based wholly on the fact that no one can be trusted and everyone has secrets. 

I felt like I was going to be pointing fingers the entire time and checking over my shoulder (or Max's shoulder as the case may be) waiting for something bad to happen. 

I didn't see myself being able to sit back and simple enjoy the book. 

But the way that Paula tells the story had me believing everyone, trusting everyone and before I knew what was happening the ending snuck up on me and left me with my jaw on the floor re-reading the same sentence over and over again. 

In short if you're looking for a realistic, thrilling mystery or if you're a fan of Alfred Hitchcock or Mary Higgins Clark this book is for you! 

Until next time, 
Ginger  

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment