Thursday, April 23, 2015

ARC Review of "City Love"

City Love 
By Susane Colasanti 

Stars: 2 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: April 21st 2015 

Three girls, one summer, no rules. 

Darcy, Rosanna and Sadie are sharing an apartment in New York City the summer before their freshman year of college. Surrounded by world famous restaurants, art exhibits and the occasional A-list celebrity it's hard not to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that is NYC but each girl has their own dreams, aspirations and goals and none of them are going to settle for anything less than extraordinary. 

Darcy is mending a slightly damaged heart, having been dumped by the love of her life before arriving in the big apple. She has deemed this summer her 'shiny new summer'. No boyfriend, but plenty of boys. 

Rosanna is dazzled by the city lights and can't believe she actually made it. She's always dreamed about living the New York and now it's finally happening. It doesn't matter that she can barley make ends meet or that her dinner for the next week is whatever cereal was on sale, she's determined to make it work. 

Sadie was born and raised in the West Village, she's barley a couple of blocks from her childhood home but already she feels like a whole different person being out on her own. Always the optimistic one she can't help but see the good in people, whether they deserve it or not.  

All three girls are world apart when it comes to their backgrounds, personalities and lifestyles but one thing they have in common is City Love, no matter the number of dates, relationships, breakups or heartbreaks, New York will never let them down. 

-----------------------------------------

I was really looking forward to this book, I saved it for a day when I needed a little cheering up, a light fluffy read to brighten my day... 

That didn't happen. 

While "City Love" started off on an okay foot it quickly went downhill fast. 

First off the timing, I kept having to remind myself that weeks, hell even days, weren't passing between each chapter, the entire book was around two weeks time wise and it drove me crazy! Especially when the girls were head over heels for guys they met... Yesterday. 

Yes that brings me to my next point: InstaLove... 

I kid you not there was a line in the book where Sadie is just gushing about Austin, how amazing he is, how sweet, how much she's falling for him, and then in the next breath she says something about "I can't believe I've only know him three days"... Oh lord. 

I hated how Rosanna, who comes from a poor family and can't afford to go out for coffee is suddenly with Donovan Clark who drops 200+ dollars on a dinner date. 

She kept having this inner dialog with herself about how she could never be with someone like that, who didn't understand the value of a dollar and who would never be able to relate to her situation and yet she kept going out with him. 

Darcy didn't annoy me too much, she was probably my favorite out of the three, her whole "Operation Shiny New Summer" actually kept me somewhat interested in the story (at least enough to finish it) but I still felt like she was missing something. 

If I was rating this book solely on the setting and the descriptions of the city I would give it 5+ stars but the characters and their 'love lives' just threw me. 

I forced myself to finish it just so I could see if the ending was any better but that may have been the worst part. Even though it's (apparently) going to be a series that was one of the worst endings I have ever read. It might as well have stopped mid sentence, that would have been less abrupt. 

I'm disappointed that I disliked it as much as I did because like I said I was really looking forward to it but after reading it I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and I doubt I'll read the next installment in the series. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment