Sunday, April 19, 2015

ARC Review of "99 Days"

99 Days 
By Kate Cotugno 

Stars: 3 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: April 21st 2015 

Molly has to spend 99 days back in her home town before heading off to college, 99 days of nasty notes, key'd cars and dirty glares. 

When Molly's relationship with Patrick fell apart she ran as fast as she could and as far as she could, but coming back is like reopening wounds that have barley healed. 

While Gabe, Patrick's brother, was just as much to blame as Molly for what happened he seemed to get off scot free. 

Only Molly is the town slut, the whore who came between two brothers. 

Molly still blames her mother for writing a fictionalized book about that summer, for revealing her secrets and acting as though it didn't matter that what she had confided in her was confidential and personal. 

With no one to turn to Molly starts hanging out with Gabe again, after all with Patrick half way across the country it couldn't really hurt... Right? 

-----------------------------------------

Spoilers ahead!

... 

... 

... 

I hate how much I loved the writing in this book. From page one I was hooked. I loved everything about it, the setting (the hotel was my favorite) how she felt running, the tiny flashbacks, the day by day chapters. 

I loved how we didn't get the full story right away, for the first couple of weeks I thought that Molly had cheated on Patrick with his brother, but come to find out Patrick (being the all around prick that he was) broke up with her before she ever did anything remotely intimate with Gabe. 

Yes she lied about it and got back together with Patrick without coming clean and that wasn't the best way to handle things but the way they treated her was insane (although completely realistic). 

The whole town had this double standard where Molly was the devil and Gabe could do no wrong. 

I started to really like Molly and Gabe together and I couldn't believe how nice Tess (Patrick's new girlfriend) was being. 

Then about 3/4 of the way through the book it all took a turn... 

Molly freaking cheats on Gabe with Patrick. It was like a daytime show opera. She wanted people to stop treating her like crap and forgive her for something I didn't think warranted an apology and then she goes and does something ten times worse. 

It was so irritating! 

Gabe pretty much chose her over his brother (thus his family), Tess stuck up for her and treated her with kindness and respect and even Julia was starting to act somewhat civil towards her and then she goes and throws it all away. 

It was like a slap in the face. 

As much as I enjoyed the first however many days/chapters the ending outweighed what I liked and ended up tainting the book for me. 

Sadly I won't be recommending this book to anyone anytime soon. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment