Saturday, March 7, 2015

Review of "Paper Towns"

Paper Towns By John Green 

Stars: 5 
Source: Gift 

When Margo Roth Spiegelman opens Quentin's window and climbs inside his bedroom he thinks he's dreaming. He's loved her for years and suddenly here she is. 

It doesn't take much for Margo to talk Q into going with her on various missions throughout the night, whether it's breaking into Sea World or into her ex boyfriends car Quentin is there silently cheering her on. 

But with daylight comes the realization that things won't be the same as they were the night before. Q fears that Margo won't acknowledge the previous night, that she'll simple pretend it didn't happen and continue on, business as usual. 

What Q doesn't realize is that Margo ignoring him in the halls of school won't be a problem if she isn't there to ignore him.

Days go by with no word from Margo, her parents can't find her, the police can't find her, and Q feels as though he's the only one looking for her. 

When Margo ran away before she left clues for her parents to locate her, this time she left clues for Q and he will stop at nothing to find her. 


----------------------------------------------

*This Review Includes Spoilers* 

(You've been warned!) 

I LOVED the beginning of this book, Margo and Q's night together was so much fun to read, I couldn't stop laughing, prank after prank and fish after fish, I nearly fell out of my chair. 

I instantly liked Margo's character, her fearlessness and her don't give a damn attitude. 

I thought her parents were awful for not looking for her or even caring that she had disappeared. 

Then I read more, and laughed more, and grew to love Radar and Ben (and his tiny bladder) and I grew to hate Margo. Roth. Spiegelman. 

She went from this mysterious, flamboyant, enigma to the worlds more selfish, horrible, attention seeking brat. 

I was seriously waiting at the end of the book for her to be carted off for a psych evaluation. 

For the entire three weeks she was missing she had all of these people worried sick, searching for her, following her 'clues', losing sleep, failing tests, all for what? 

I can honestly say I feel like this book would have been better without her. Or at least that version of her. I would have loved the Margo from that night to stay or at least not leave in such an awful way. 

That being said the rest of the book makes up for Margo's shortcomings ten folds. 

From the stolen eye brows to the black Santa's I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud. 

I do still recommend this book and I can't wait to see the movie. Perhaps I'll feel different after watching it play out on the big screen? 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

No comments:

Post a Comment