Saturday, March 21, 2015

Review of "The Orphan Queen"

The Orphan Queen 
By Jodi Meadows 

Stars:5
Source: EW (First 12 Chapters) and Gift 
Release Date: March 10th 2015 

Wilhelmina is a Princess, an orphan and a spy. 

Ten years ago Wil's kingdom was attacked, her parents killed right in front of her and her land stolen from her and her people. 

Now nearly a decade later Wil and the other orphans have banned together and have a plan to take back what it rightfully theirs. 

Wil and her closest friend Melanie have lied their way into Skyvale Palace in order to gather inside information about the enemies army, their tactics and their plan to destroy the Wraith before it destroys them. After all, what good will it do for Wil to get her kingdom back if the Wraith kills everyone inside of it? 

During their mission Wil begins fighting along side the vigilante Black Knife, helping him kill the Wraith creatures who find their way into the city limits. But concealing her magic from him is getting harder and harder and if she slips up even once she's afraid she'll disappear along with the other flashers he has apprehended. 

"The Orphan Queen" is high fantasy at it's finest and it has the perfect blend of magic, love and revenge. 


------------------------------------------

This. Book. Killed me. 

While this is a spoiler free review I would like to just get this out of the way: I'm 99.9% positive that Jodi Meadows lives off the the tears of her readers. That is all. 

I loved this book from the first chapters. 

Wil is such a kick ass character! She isn't stupid and she doesn't run into things without a plan, a backup plan and a backup for the backup plan. She's a thinker, quick on her toes and she can handle herself in a fight. 

I loved how she knew from the very beginning that she was a princess and that her kingdom was taken from her. There wasn't a slow, building lead up to a big revel where the lonely orphan discovers her heritage. She knew from the start and she knew she would do anything to reclaim it. 

I loved all the Osprey's (excluded Patrick) and how they each had a purpose and a place. 

But I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Black Knife. 

First off he's a vigilante so I instantly pictured Stephan Ammell all dressed in black flying across the rooftops. 

Secondly he is mysterious as hell, never revealing his identity or giving any clues as to who he might be. 

Thirdly the banter between both him and Wil is perfection! I couldn't get enough! 

I flew through this book, I picked it up and didn't set it down until I reached the last page and I instantly regretted it. 

I wish I had stretched it out a little longer and enjoyed the world bit more. 

I've already added this book to my re-read list because I know I won't be able to go very long without picking it back up again. 

I am warning you that the ending will tear you to pieces, it's heartbreaking. 

What's even more heartbreaking at this I've heard this is only going to be a two book series and not a trilogy. I'm praying it's at least three book but I would love more (12 would be ideal). 

To sum it all up you need to read this book! It's only March and I can already say that this is one of my top books of 2015.  

Until next time, 
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment