Thursday, March 5, 2015

Review of Eleanor and Park

Eleanor and Park By Rainbow Rowell 

Stars: 4 
Source: Gift* 

Eleanor and Park is a charming, poignant tale about heartbreak, first loves and the lengths we go to for the people we care about. 

I knew very little about this book when I picked it up, of course I had heard all the hype about it on Booktube and Twitter but it was mostly opinions of the book not anything about the book itself. 

I was a little weary for the first couple of chapters but the second Park started waiting to turn the page of whatever comic he happened to be reading that day until he was sure Eleanor had caught up I couldn't put it down. 

I adore Rainbow's writing style and how she tells such a sad, beautiful story without making you feel depressed. 

I loved how both Park and Eleanor were somewhat oddballs, how they didn't quite fit in anywhere and how they weren't accepted by everyone. This isn't a story about the highschool cheerleader falling in love with the football captain. This is as real as you can get when writing about teenagers. Rainbow hits it right on the head. 

Speaking of teenagers, teenagers have parents, at least most of them do and while they aren't perfect I was thrilled that they were actually in the story. So many times I'll read about the absentee parents, the ones who travel, the ones who work, the ones who met an untimely death. Its as if when authors start writing from the teens point of view they completely forget to write about the adults in the story. 

This book is so well rounded and so real that its hard to pull yourself out of the book to accomplish anything. 

I can see why so many people rave about this book. 


*SPOILERS AHEAD* 

I did just want to quickly note that the reason I loved Eleanor and Park so much was the ending. I know a few people who weren't too terribly pleased with the way things ended up and I do admit I love my endings wrapped up in shiny bows with "Happily Ever After" notes attached but the ending was far too perfect to complain about. At least for me. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

*Thank you to my amazing #OTSPSecretSister for sending me this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment