Sunday, March 29, 2015

ARC Review of "The Start of Me and You"

The Start of Me and You 
By Emery Lord 

Source: Gift and Netgalley 
Stars: 5 
Release Date: March 31st 2015 

Paige had only been dating her boyfriend for three months before he died in a freak accident but even if she wanted to move on and let go the people around her won't let her forget that she's the girlfriend of the boy who drowned. 

When Paige decides to start over and wipe the slate clean she makes a list of the things that will help her. 

She wants to swim again, join a club, be more social and finally date her highschool crush, Ryan Chase. 

"The Start of Me and You" is an honest, relatable story about facing your fears, letting go of guilt and admitting your true feelings. 


--------------------------------------

I have four (FOUR) pages of notes for this book. Usually I only have one, maybe two so bear with me and my rambles. 

First off I loved Paige, she was thee perfect female protagonist, she wasn't one of those characters you grew to love, it was an instant 'If I knew you in real life we'd be best friends' kind of connection. 

Speaking of best friends hers were EPIC. I can honest say I have some of the worst luck when it comes to friends, I've learned the hard way that not everyone can be trusted and not everyone has your best interests at heart but oh my god I was INSANELY jealous of Paige and her friends. Tess, Morgan and Kayleigh were always there for her (and each other). They knew just what to say and knew just how to turn a crappy day into an amazing day. 

I would LOVE to see each of them get their own story (hint hint Emery ;)). 

I adored Max (I mean who didn't?!) but I also really liked how Ryan didn't turn out to be an awful guy. 

Usually in a story like this the girl falls for the hot, charming, popular guy and finds out in the end that he's an awful person but even though Ryan wasn't for Paige he was still a good friend and a pretty decent guy. 

Of course Max automatically became one of my favorite book boyfriends, he was the perfect mix of quirky, nerdy and book smart. Not to mention he was kind to a fault! 

I loved Paige's relationship with her Grandmother, it was such a breathe of fresh air, usually the main character doesn't have that 'one person' she can talk to and reveal all her secrets to. It's usually all inner dialog or sometimes written in journal entries but having her Grandma brought such a depth to the story and a realness that I really appreciated. 

The T.V show references were a nice touch (especially the Gilmore Girl's ones) and I wish the book had been twice as long as it was so we could get a peek at what happened next with Paige's screenwriting. 

Another favorite part of mine was how Max called Paige 'Janie', I won't say why in case you haven't read it but lets just say that it melted my heart and I still can't stop thinking about it! 

I've only read one of Emery Lord's books but just from this one book I can honestly say that she is a master at tugging at your heart strings and making you care for her characters. 

I can't wait to read more from her! 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment