Monday, March 16, 2015

ARC Review of "Everything That Makes You"

Everything That Makes You 
By Moriah McStay 

Source: Edelweiss 
Stars: 3 
Release Date: March 17th 2015 



Fiona Doyle was badly scared twelve years ago in a freak accident. 

Fi Doyle was not. 

Everything That Makes You is two stories about one girl. 

Moriah McStay dares us to ask, is it personal choices, fate or some twisted destiny that defines who we are and who we are meant to become?


---------------------------------------

When I read the synopsis for this book I instantly thought of Cat Patrick's book "Just Like Fate". It has the same basic idea of how one event can cause a fork in the road and leave you with two alternate realities. 

I loved "Just Like Fate" so I definitely had high hopes for this book going into it. 

While it wasn't my favorite it did have some parts I really enjoyed. 

The first half of this book held my attention and mesmerized me, I couldn't put it down and when I did I couldn't stop thinking about it. 

I had an idea as to where the story was going and I'm sure I'm not the only one who figured it out early on, there is a small, for lack of a better word, plot twist half way through the book that I really liked and its the reason I gave this book 3 stars. 

However after it happened it seemed like the book just stalled out. I lost interest pretty quickly and the almost gave up finishing it 2-3 times. 

It was hard for me to relate to Fiona/Fi which I find so strange because I was given my choice of two main characters and I didn't like either one of them. 

Her mother (in both realities) drove me CRAZY! I just wanted to reach into the book and slap her. She claims to want what's best for her daughter but all she ever does is berate her and make her feel bad about herself. 

I did like that there were two different love interests in each reality. At first I was against it and I kept hoping that both versions of Fiona would end up with the same guy but it became clear that that was not a possibility. 

All in all it was an okay book but not one of my favorites and if you're looking for an alternate reality/duel perspective, 'what if' kind of book I think that there are a couple books out there that I would recommend above this one.   

Until next time, 
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 

My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment