Monday, January 26, 2015

ARC Review of "Water So Deep"

Water So Deep By Nichole Giles 

Stars: 2 
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: February 2nd 2015 

Emma Harris is not your average seventeen year old, abandoned by her birth parents as an infant Emma never knew anything about where she came from or who she came from. Now almost two decades later the past is catching up to her. 

Unable to go more than a few days without a trip to the beach to swim Emma knows her time on dry land is running out, and fast. 


It will be hard enough to say goodbye to the people that raised her, her Mother, Father and her grandmother but saying goodbye to her brother Keith will be the worst part. 

Add in the new boy at school, James, and Emma will do anything to slow down her metamorphosis. 


See Emma isn't quite human and in a few short months she'll sprout permanent fins and return to her homeland and her people under the sea. 

Where do I start? 

I really liked the idea of this book, anything to do with mermaids catches my eye and I loved the cover but it fell so short of my expectations. 

Emma, the main character is going through this transformation from human to mermaid, the only person who knows the truth about whats going on is her Gran, her parents are left in the dark. I feel like the back story was lacking, it was a really slow read and I would've loved for there to have been a flashback chapter of her grandmother telling her a more in depth story of how she found her and how she was adopted by her parents. 

I didn't really like Emma as a character nor did I like James, to be perfectly honest the only reason I finished the book was to see if she found some way to stay and continue taking care of Keith who was by far my favorite part about this story. 

Merrick shows up every couple of chapters and for the most part is the only other mermaid in the book. He. Was. So. Annoying. 

Their conversations where so bland and so repetitive. At one point I thought my e-reader had jumped back a couple chapters because it was word for word their last conversation. 

I feel like for a 'mermaid' book it was lacking... Well... Mermaids. 

I've only come across one mermaid series that I truly enjoyed (Amanda Hocking's Watersong Series) and I was hoping this one would be able to stand right along side it but that just wasn't the case. 

I'm assuming that there is going to be a sequel do to the cliff hanger at the end but I won't be continuing on with this series. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment