Thursday, January 15, 2015

ARC Review of Playlist For The Dead

Playlist For The Dead By Michelle Falkoff 

Stars: 3 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: January 27th 2015 
Publisher: Harper Teen 

Sam and Hayden were best friends, they did everything together, they relied on one another and they told each other everything. Until they didn't. 

When Hayden commits suicide Sam is left alone, lost and racked with guilt, he can't stop blaming himself for the events that led up to Hayden's death. 

All Hayden left behind is a flash drive and a note saying that it will explain everything. When Sam opens the files on the drive he realizes that Hayden left him a playlist in way of a suicide note. On the playlist are songs Sam has listened to countless times and songs he's never heard before. But each one takes him one step closer to finding out the truth and one step closer to finding himself. 

I'm on the fence about this book. I wanted so badly to like it, and don't get me wrong, there were some parts I really enjoyed, but for the most part it left me feeling very underwhelmed. I hated the way that Hayden was treated and that he felt like the only way out was taking his own life but other than that this book left me feeling, well, nothing.

Even when the bullies who had made Hayden's life a living hell were being taught lessons and getting tastes of their own medicine I couldn't help but think that the author could have amped it up a little bit and pushed it a little further. 

I like books that twist my insides up and grab at my heart strings and leave me sobbing my eyes out at 3 o'clock in the morning. While Playlist For The Dead had all the ingredients for that type of book I feel like it fell short.

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment