Saturday, January 3, 2015

ARC Review of "More Than This"

More Than This By Jay McLean 

Stars: 5x5!
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: January 15th 2015 

Mikayla's prom night was suppose to be magical, perfect, a night to remember. That is until when she walks in on her boyfriend of 4 years and her best friend hooking up, all she wants to do now is go home and spend the rest of the night in bed with a tub of ice cream. 

Just when she's about to give up and skip prom all together, a tall, sexy guy with an Australian accent steps in and invites her to hang out with him and his friends at their prom. 

Mikayla's night seems to have been saved, she has more fun than she's had in a long time and more fun than she would have had if she had attended her own prom. 

Jake seems to be the perfect guy and Mikayla is more than interested to see where it may lead with him. 

However when Jake and Mikayla pull up to her house in the limo and its surrounded by police cars and ambulances her whole world comes crashing down around her. 

Suddenly Makayla has no one, no boyfriend to hold her, no best friend to comfort her. No one but Jake, who steps up and takes on the roll of everyone she's lost. 

They only know each other one night before they become everything to one another and it doesn't take long before doubt seeps in and others begin to wonder if it's circumstances that not only brought them together but circumstances that are keeping them from moving on. 

Are their feelings for each other real or merely the result of a tragic bond? 

3 hours. 

That's how long it took me to read this book. 

I picked it up and I didn't move until I was finished. 

I can't even explain to you how much I loved it. From the very first page to the last sentence I was hooked. 

When you first start this book you're fooled into thinking it's nothing but a cute, romantic, contemporary. 

Her prom is ruined, a cute guy steps in to save the day, they fall in love, blah, blah blah. 

But in an instant McLean throws you a hard ball and you're left staring at the same page reading and re-reading the same sentence trying not to cry on your iPad. 

I loved the dynamic relationship between Jake and Kayla, how understanding and open his family was towards her and how loving they were. 

Jake's circle of friends were one of my favorite parts. They were all so lively and unique. I loved the scenes with them, especially Lucy, book nerd Lucy and drunk Lucy. 

The whole time I was reading this I couldn't quit imagining Jay McLean as the Evil Queen (in Once Upon A Time) ripping my heart out of my chest and squeezing it. Everyone once in a while she'd put it back only to repeat the process a couple chapters later. And for that she is now one of my all time favorite authors. 

I can't say enough good things about this book, just stop reading this review now and go pick yourself up a copy... Now... NOW!!! 

Until next time,
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment