Sunday, January 25, 2015

ARC Review of How (Not) To Fall In Love

How (Not) To Fall In Love By Lisa Brown Roberts 

Stars: 4 
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: February 3rd 2015 

Darcy Covington has a perfect life, or as close to perfect as she can get. 

Until one day the rug is ripped out from underneath her and her mother. 

Darcy's car is repossessed in front of all her classmates and her families private affairs are now page one news. Her Dad's company is going under and he's nowhere to be found. Meanwhile her Mother is too busy drinking herself into oblivion to care that their house is being foreclosed on. 

Left with nothing but the company of her dog Darcy realizes without help her and her mother are going to be living out on the street. 

With no one else to turn to Darcy reaches out to her Uncle whom she lost touch with years ago. When Uncle Charlie reenters Darcy's life he brings with him a handful of colorful characters, each one changing Darcy's perspective about what's happening to her and how she's to deal with it. 


I'm not going to lie, I was about 1/4 of the way into this book and I almost DNF it. I hated Darcy and her mother, I didn't care about what was happening to them or how they were going to get through it. I felt nothing towards this book but dislike and disinterest. 

Just when I had had enough I forced myself to read one more chapter, then, I told myself, I could give up and pick a new book. 

And I am so glad I read that one chapter. 

There was a turning point in the book, one very minor and one that I can't even pinpoint now thinking back on it, but it was like I was reading a whole new book. 

Darcy was now relatable and likable, even funny and sarcastic and instead of her drunk mother and rude classmates she was now surrounded by this slew of wonderful people. Charlie and Liz and of course Lucas. 

This book grew on me and that's a very rare occurrence for me. I usually either hate a book or love it, from the first couple of chapters I know where I stand. But this book was a journey, one that needed to be navigated in a certain way in order to get to the perfect ending, and I'm glad I stuck around for that. 

This is a debut book for Lisa and I'm very excited to see what else she has up her sleeve! 

Until next time,
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment