Sunday, January 11, 2015

ARC Review of "The Forgotten Girls"

The Forgotten Girls By Sara Blaedel 

Stars: 3 
Source: Netgalley 
Release Date: February 3rd 2015 

A body discovered in the middle of a forest in Denmark, a woman with a scar that travels the length of her body, no shoes, no identification, no missing persons report.

Louise Rick has recently been promoted, now the head of her own department the pressure to solve her first case is weighing heavy on her. 

After releasing a picture of the woman to the media they discover the reason she was never reported missing. Lisemette presumably died over 30 years ago in a mental institution, within minutes of her twin sister. 

When Louise Rick and her new partner, Eik, come to the realization that if Lisemette, up until a few days ago was alive, then its quite possible that her twin sister is alive as well and in serious danger. 
Time is not on their side however and when more bodies start piling up they must race to stop a vicious killer before he strikes again. 

This is my first Sara Blaedel book, "The Forgotten Girls" is book #7 in the Louise Rick series but it makes a good stand alone novel as well. 

I'm not sure how to describe this book, I felt as though it had some element missing. It was such a good mystery and it had the potential to be very dark and creepy. 

For me a good mystery needs to be read with all the lights in the house on. 

This book however I finished at 2 in the morning and promptly rolled over and went to bed. 

Don't get me wrong, what happened to the women in this book was unthinkable but the ending, at least to me, was very anticlimactic. 

Even the 'romance' was lacking. At one point during the book two people find themselves in a public bathroom unable to do anything but kiss one another. 

I am all for romance. Unrequited love. Subtle hand brushes, sideways glances, sultry stares. 

Let me tell you how shocked I was, I must have somehow missed the buildup to these two. There wasn't one point during the entire book when the idea of them together crossed my mind. Even after they kissed it's like they mentally shook hands and got on with their day. 

I can't say much more without including spoilers so I'll leave you with this final thought: "The Forgotten Girls", to me, has everything needed for a mystery minus the scare factor. 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment