Monday, December 29, 2014

Mini ARC Review of "The Rosie Effect"

The Rosie Effect By Graeme Simison 

Stars: 2 
Source: Edelweiss 
Release Date: December 30th 2014 

I've been putting off writing this review for the sole purpose that my mother told me if I wrote a bad review for "The Rosie Effect" she's cut me. I think she was only partially kidding. 

This is going to be rather short and I'm not doing a synopsis like I usually would. The cheat sheet version (in case you did know) is that Don and Rosie are now living in New York and Rosie has just announced that she's pregnant. As you can imagine Don doesn't handle it like one might expect. 


*Spoilers Ahead* 

I really enjoyed "The Rosie Project" it was a quick read and I was truly invested in the characters and what became of them. "The Rosie Effect" was ten steps back in that area. As I read I slowly began to hate Rosie and the way she was treating Don. She admits to getting pregnant on purpose without talking to him about it, she shuts him out of the pregnancy and in the end threatens to move back to Australia and take their child with her. 

She doesn't understand, nor does it seem like she wants to, how Don is coping with the news of becoming a father. I'm sorry but you knew who he was and how he processed things when you married him, it's a little late to try to change him or his behavior. 

There were some parts I liked, for instance, Don getting arrested at a playground for watching small children (for research, of course!). I honestly couldn't stop laughing, but these scenes were few and far between and were completely forgotten the moment that Rosie reentered the story. 

It was as if she had been wiped completely clean of her charm and wit and lovable charisma and all that was left was a hollow shell of the old Rosie, taken over by, for lack of a better word, the worlds biggest bitch. 

Perhaps I built up the second book to much, expected too much, thus setting it up for failure before I ever picked it up, but I can't imagine anyone who read the first book, who fell head over heels for the characters, liking "The Rosie Effect". 

Until next time, 
Ginger 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment