Friday, August 29, 2014

Not My Cup Of Tea ARC Review Of "The Winter People"

"The Winter People" By Rebekah L. Purdy 

Stars: 3 

Source: Netgalley 

Release Date: September 2nd 

Salome Montgomery is deathly afraid of winter. Ever since she was six and fell through the iced over pond in her grandparents backyard anything associated with the cold makes her heart race and her palms sweat. During the winter months she hears the same voice that called to her that day, luring her to the icy waters. 

For the past 11 years she avoided the wooded area behind her grandparents house. Only visiting in the warm months when it's save. But after a series of unfortunate events she finds herself maintaining her grandparents estate until they return from Arizona in the spring. 

Even though her grandmother warned her of talking to strangers, Salome finds herself attracted to the mysterious Nevin who visits her while she tends to her grandparents estate. 


However Nevin isn't the only stranger Salome finds. Gareth has deemed himself her bodyguard, and more than once saved her from the icy death that awaits her. 


Add in Colton, Salome's life long crush and you've got yourself a very twisted love triangle.


When I first picked up this book I was very intrigued by the description. After reading the first couple of chapters I was hooked. However as the story progressed I grew less interested. 

Salome is afraid of the winter, she hears voices threatening her life and yet every chance she gets it's "Lets go for a walk in the snow storm" or "Lets trust this stranger I barley know". It's like when the cheerleader in the horror movie hears a noise in the basement and decides to go check it out and you're screaming "NO!" but deep down thinking to yourself "Idiot, you deserve to die now."  

For me it just got a little old, her putting herself in situations that in my opinion she could have easily found a way around. Add the fact that her grandmother drove me nuts, putting her in danger and not being able to tell her anything that might help, and this just wasn't the book for me. 

I did enjoy some aspects of it and perhaps if it hadn't have been so drawn out (maybe if it happened over the course of one winter instead of the entire year) it would have kept my attention but sadly that wasn't the case. 

The only reason I finished it was to find out why her family was cursed and the explanation at the end was just a complete letdown for me, like it was an afterthought to actually explain the reasoning behind the curse. 

Again just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that you wont. 

Until next time, 
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review. 
My review is my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment