Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Not My Cup Of Tea" ARC Review of "Darkness"

When I started this blog I was dreading the day I would have to write a bad review, I don't like bad mouthing something that someone has obviously spent so much work on and invested so much time into. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't good and it doesn't mean I can't still write an overview and share it with others who may enjoy it more then I did. 

So this begins a new blog series. It won't be weekly, just whenever I read something that although I'm not a fan of, others might like. 

I credit my Uncle Jon for the title of this new blog series and thank him immensely. I doubt that when he jokingly suggested it that he thought I would run with it.  

"Not My Cup Of Tea" Review #1 

"Darkness" By Erin Eveland  

Release date is July 1st 

I was sent an ARC in the mail along with an E-Book copy from NG. 

The interesting thing about "Darkness is that it is an 'interactive' novel. The beginning of each chapter has a QR code that when scanned provides you with a picture of a piece of art or a song that corresponds with that particular chapter. 

"Darkness" is the story of Catherine. Catherine was raised by her grandmother until the age of six, when she suddenly passed away. Now she is forced to live with her mother who is an alcoholic and only keeps her daughter around for the welfare checks. 

Ten years later and the only thing that keeps Catherine going is Nathan. Nathan is older then her, already out of high school and working at the same bar as her mother. Since Nathan graduated she has seen less and less of him and she can't help but think that he will never know how she truly feels about him. 

Little does Catherine know that the reason Nathan has become so distant is because Artros (a master of Darkness) has been frequenting the bar he works at, teaching Nathan of colors, light and dark and how to control them. 

Nathan is unaware of the fact that Artros is using him to get to Catherine and in turn the power she unknowingly has inside of her. 

Then a new master of Darkness arrives in town, Jorgen. Jorgen goes against his very nature to protect Catherine from Artros, herself and even the boy she has given her heart to.  

The beginning of this book really drew me in and I hung on every word. But sadly the more I read the less interested I became in it. I'm giving it three stars because I was still intrigued and I had to know the ending. 

While the idea of an 'interactive' novel is attractive and engaging it annoyed me a little bit to be reading and have to stop to grab my phone and scan it before moving on to that chapter.

I haven't decided yet if I'll be reading the sequel but if I do I'll be sure to post about it. 

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review.
My review is my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment