Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hello,

For as long as I can remember I have always had my nose stuck in a book. 

When I was little my favorites were The Magic Tree House series or The Babysitters Club. Ramona and Beezus and Super Fudge. I never got into Nancy Drew, partly because I would solve the mystery somewhere between chapters 8-10 but mostly because my Mom introduced me to Trixie Belden, not to sound too terrible biased but Trixie (at least in my mind) will always better. 

I remember being around 8 years old and reading Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird. Still two of my favorite classics. Ever since then I have never put an age limit on the books I read. 

At the age of 22 I'm still known to pick up a Junie B. Jones book and spend the afternoon delightfully engaged in the thoughts of a 1st grader on a stupid smelly bus. And once I'm done with that I have no problem picking up the latest James Patterson book and staying up until 2 in the morning, jumping at every noise while turning the pages.

Most of the books that I gravitate towards are YA. It baffles me how just a couple years ago the Young Adult section in my library was but a few shelves. Now its row after row of coming of age stories, post apocalyptic worlds and dystopian settings. There's fantasy and science fiction and romance all told through the eyes of a sixteen year old girl.  

I still get funny looks when I'm in public and I grab whichever book I'm currently reading from my purse. I'm sure it's a mix between 'isn't she to old/young for that' and 'why does she have a 600 pages novel in her purse'. 

If I'm going to be getting my oil changed or stuck on the train somewhere then it's a given I will always have something to read. Sometimes I read an entire book start to finish in one sitting and other times I like to draw it out, not wanting to say goodbye to new characters so quickly. Either way I always take something from the books I read, be it a feeling, a quote or a love of a place I've never been.

I love to share the books that I read and I love discovering new authors and stories and I hope that this blog helps me do just that. 

Until next time, 

Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment